What fitness stage are you in?

Happy Monday! I hope you had a lovely weekend. Yesterday I spent Mother’s Day doing the Mother’s Day Classic Walk with my mum and sister, the walk helps raise money for breast cancer and had more than 40,000 people in attendance.

Over the years I have gone through a number of stages in my fitness journey and I feel like over time I have built on where I’ve come from with what I’ve learnt about exercise.

Stage 1: the I HATE exercise stage

I went through this stage from pretty much when I was 11 years old – till when I was 17 years old. I tried to avoid exercise at all costs. I started high school chubby and every year I just kept gaining weight, mainly from eating all the wrong things but my hatred of exercise didn’t help matters either. There is one exception to this, I did used to love swimming, my mum had my sister and I in a swimming squad and we both used to swim twice a week for an hour. Although at school I didn’t love swimming, teenage logic for you.

exercisehate

Stage 2: I’m trying to love it…but I don’t yet.

When I was 18 after I’d lost 50 kgs (110 pounds), entirely through diet, doing NO exercise at all during it, I realized it might be time to start doing something. I was completely clueless when it came to exercise so I hired a personal trainer who I saw 3 times a week. I was so scared of putting the weight back on and knowing I had no clue about exercise I went that often, yes it was expensive but as I was living at home at the time I could afford it. In my first session I threw up, which didn’t make me love exercise. I did however love my trainer as she pushed me to see that I was capable of much more than I thought I was.

2c2739c858961528338cffde490ca988

Stage 3: Hey this isn’t so bad

From when I was 19 – 25 years old, I genuinely started to enjoy exercise a lot more. I tried to start running but I was inconsistent with it but I did build up to being able to run 5km thanks to the couch to 5k program. I went more often as I had friends who were at the same gym as me and it helped motivate me to want to do more. On and off I saw personal trainers during this time which helped me learn more about using weights.

1e8294917bcfa0c613d2dd6a6a0a422ff229e1ed346c2072445765f594ada7ba

Stage 4: I really love running.

I met Nick when I was 26 and we shared a love of food. Due to this love of food we both decided to start running together, I’d never really been that bothered about running before but then we decided to train for a 15km race together and it made me really fall in love with running. Nick now doesn’t run as he got a bit over it but I still do.

photo 1

Stage 5: I think I’m overdoing it

There was a time over a year ago when I was exercising 8+ times a week. I’d exercise in the morning and then after work I’d go back to the gym again. At the time I didn’t think I was overdoing it that much but spending 1.5 hours+ a day in the gym after a while got really old and I realized that I was overdoing it, particularly in the cardio department.

WeHaveAProblem-6917

Stage 6: I love weights

June last year I started a new strength program with Tara that was mainly free weights, lifting heavy and it made me fall in love with strength training too. I still love running but I love the feeling of being able to lift heavier than I ever thought possible.

What fitness stage are you in?

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Hehe love this! I think I am in Stage 7; this is kinda my life, but I am a little scared I am gonna run out of time to do everything I want to do before I lose my speed! This is so true though. I think I have been through every stage multiple times though. Its like a circle! Love it! Have a wonderful Monday!
    Tina Muir recently posted…The Importance of Keeping a Training LogMy Profile

Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

You are in like warp speed stage ;) I think you are doing so so well in the current stage you are in and there is still PLENTY of time for you to keep on achieving those goals.

Have a great day lovely <3

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 6:37 am | Permalink

I think I am right in stage 6 now! But I even see that turning 30 next year there’s not so much time left for certain sports like soccer e.g. But running and strengh wil be there for me for a long time. Can’t wait to really get into free weights. Loved that post! Keep on going, lovely Jan!
    Juli @ 1000lovelythings recently posted…Spill it Sunday – The Angela EditionMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I have loved getting into free weights and I never thought at times I’d love it and look forward to it more than running but some days I do. I need to have a falling in love with yoga stage, I want to but I just don’t love it right now.

Thanks Juli for your kind words as always :)

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 6:54 am | Permalink

I’m in stage 6 now. I wish I had gotten into heavy lifting a looonnng time ago! I’m loving it.
    Katie @glutes and ladders recently posted…Nice Little SundayMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I know I hear you! Back when I was 22 I did start doing weights and I only wish now I had kept going as I’d be much better off now but that’s the way it goes :)

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:41 am | Permalink

Love reading about your different stages! I’ve kind of been in the same stage for a few years- love running, but love doing a combination of cardio/strength training most of the time.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…First-world vacation problemsMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I think that is a great stage for you to be in! We both need to try adding the ‘I love yoga’ stage on top of our current stages too ;) Or at least I know I do!

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Oh man, I can TOTALLY relate to this! I’m working on the balance thing too. I was at a point of working out about 9 times a week, got knows where I’d be at hour wise if I was adding that up. Yargh.
    Amanda Fraijo-Tobin (@FraijoManda) recently posted…The Kind Of Mother I’ll Never BeMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

The balance one is a tough one. I used to be really proud of the fact it had been 2 weeks without a rest day, then I found my immune system just didn’t cope with it and I realized how much of a disservice I was doing to myself but not having proper rest. It’s hard though as after a tough workout you can feel really good and get addicted to that :/

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

I think I’ve gone through EACH of these stages! I never exercised in high school except for a brief run-in with track sophomore year. I did work at a grocery store and helped stock shelves, lift heavy boxes and carry groceries to cars so I guess I got my weight lifting in there ;) I didn’t start hitting up the gym until I was 21 and realized none of my pants fit anymore. But I really didn’t start getting into exercise until grad school, when I overdid it. Now I feel like I’m at a good place and love that I’ve incorporated weights into my routine. I love my muscles :)
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…No-makeup weekendMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Wow I never knew you started the gym so late in life too, I guess I always thought you must have consistently been a runner ;)

I think once you fall in love with exercise everyone seems to go through a period of time where they overdo it. I’m in the stage of wanting to fit everything in like yoga as well as weights and running without going back to overdoing it.

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

I’d say I’m somewhere between Stage 3 and 4. I genuinely enjoy exercising, but sometimes running and I don’t always get along : )
    Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted…Friday Faves: 05.09.14My Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

I think running and most people have times when they just don’t get along ;) I have to say I tend to love running but if I have something I am training for it can become a grind, but having something to train for makes me more consistent with it so it’s a double edged sword.

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I think I alternate between stage 4 and stage 6 – I love strength training, but I love running and alternate weeks between the two!
    Loved reading how you navigated all these Stages, Jan you have come a long way!
    Shashi @ RunninSrilankan recently posted…Pumpkin & White Chocolate Brownie Bars!My Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I think that is a great place to be and it is kind of where I’m at too. I some weeks love running more than strength training but other weeks it does swap.

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I love this post – especially all the funny cat photos you included. I’m in the no exercise stage (not by choice), as I need to get as much rest as possible to have a child.
    Jessie recently posted…Vega Bars ReviewMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

:D I’m glad you did.

I think it is good though that you are making having children your priority over exercise and that is sort of another stage, the not being able to exercise one. I hope all the extra rest helps you <3

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

I think I’ve been through pretty much all of these stages at some point! :P Right now, it’s definitely number 6! Lifting weights is so much fun, and something I never thought I’d enjoy! It feels like a real achievement when you mange to up your weight :)
    Louise@FitRadiance recently posted…5 Tips To Never Miss A WorkoutMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

From the sounds of it a lot of others have been through these same stages too :)

I never thought I’d love lifting weights and heavy ones too as much as I do either :)

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

I’m in the “I love running” stage! I’m not training right now but running for fittness and fun :)
    Karen @karenlovestorun
    Karen Loves to Run (@karenlovestorun) recently posted…Coffee DateMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

That is a great stage to be in :D

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

I love how you’ve put in the different stages- very cool.
    I’m not sure I’m ever really in stage 5. I probably am a bit of stage 4 and stage 6, although my strength training is more BodyPump (which I LOVE), and free weight resistance training.
    Lauren@sweetenough recently posted…Pizza Religion: How to spend a cold Saturday nightMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Lauren :)

I think not ever being in stage 5 is a good thing not a bad thing. One of my good friends loves bodypump, I more prefer to do my own thing but I haven’t done pump for years and am curious to try it again.

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

I think I’m currently in stage 3! The upcoming wedding has been good motivation!

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

:) It would be very good motivation I would imagine.

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

I am in stage 6 right now with strength training, however my friend is convinced she will teach me how to run this summer. So with running, I’ll be in stage 1 :) Good thing I finally picked up some new running shoes!
    Christina recently posted…Saturday at 5:55AMMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I think running is something you can fall in love with but it is definitely not for everyone. Good thing you’ve already been doing strength training as it hopefully means you will be less prone to injury than I was before I added it in too :)

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Great post, Jan! I always love your commentary. I seem to be flip flopping back and forth between stages four and five. Some weeks my schedule allows for exercise almost everyday, but weeks like this past one its difficult just to get my planned runs in. I hope to be able to eventually get to stage six, because knowing that I’m training that much would be a great boost of confidence!
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Training Log – Week 2My Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Aww thanks Kathryn :)

I think allowing your body proper rest and not overdoing it is a good stage to be in but some days when you can and do want to do more, you do it anyway :)

• Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

I also did a Mother’s Day run this weekend! I love seeing all the people get together for a good cause. I guess I’m in the “I love Running” stage because I’m slightly obsessed at the moment. I can totally relate to all the stages though, you nailed them on the head!
    Ursula recently posted…Weekly Wishes #6My Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

It was amazing how many people participated in the event. It was great though especially for such a good cause :)

Thanks Ursula!

• Posted May 13, 2014 at 12:31 am | Permalink

I’m in stage 6… and a not so far couple of weeks ago I was in stage 5… I literally exercised without rest days… Now I’m more relaxed… With the moving I haven’t been able to do too many things… so I look to do something daily, however I’m not so mad if I skip a workout :P and I love strength training it makes my heart happy!
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…Miami LifeMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear you are allowing yourself more rest! Not always the easiest thing to master though as more exercise usually feels like it is better.

Strength training makes my heart happy too ;)

• Posted May 13, 2014 at 12:53 am | Permalink

Bahaha! This cracked me up because I went through all of those in that exact order! Now I’m at the… I really miss running phase. I’m going to get back into it as soon as I don’t feel the need to vomit every 5 minutes~
    Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom.com recently posted…Happy Mothers DayMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Glad it made you laugh! I was surprised at how many others have been through most of these stages too :)

I went through a missing running phase too.

• Posted May 13, 2014 at 1:46 am | Permalink

This post made me laugh. I’ve been through so many different phases. I’m in the ‘I love weights’ phase, similar to you. When not pregnant, I enjoy the challenge of trying to lift more (with proper form, of course) and push harder in each workout.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…Motivation & Inspiration Monday: Make Home-Brewed KombuchaMy Profile

Posted May 13, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Glad it made you laugh :) I think a lot of people have gone through many different stages in their fitness journey. I’ve been enjoying trying to lift more too and am hoping to get back into it after my wrist is now healed.

• Posted May 13, 2014 at 4:48 am | Permalink

These are so true… I love love love running and it’s so fun to have people to share it with. BUT I also love weights now too (and what they’ve done for my body!)
    Cassie recently posted…Race Recap: Pittsburgh Half-MarathonMy Profile

Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

:D Glad you can relate too. I think most females tend to come from a cardio and or / running first background but then tend to move more into weights the more they know.

• Posted May 13, 2014 at 6:27 am | Permalink

i’ve gone through all those stages! and definitely in the less in more stage now. Functional workouts, hikes, a little running. FINALLY!!
    lindsay recently posted…Are You a Health Blog Junkie?My Profile

Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Yep I’m more into the less is more stage now too. I’m hoping to get a couple of hikes in before it becomes completely winter here and just not possible to do.

• Posted May 13, 2014 at 6:48 am | Permalink

I’m so glad I get to be a part of this last stage! What’s next, I wonder? A strongwoman competition? ;) As for me, I definitely think I’m in the “I love running” stage ;)
    Tara @ Sweat like a Pig recently posted…Time to step up my overhead gameMy Profile

Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Lol I don’t know that I will ever go into that stage but never say never ;) haha

Lol yep of course, that’s what I would have picked for you too. LOVE IT!

• Posted May 13, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Love this! And I’m probably in Stage 6, although it’s quite a lifestyle for me. Heavy lifting ftw! Go girl!
    Aqilah Norazman recently posted…The Beginners Guide To Losing Weight: Exercise (Part 3)My Profile

Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Heavy lifting for the win indeed ;)

• Posted May 13, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Since I am sidelined with plantar fasciitis and adrenal fatigue…I think we have a problem. I do best when I have a goal and a plan but this last round of training did me in. I have been chilling in pilates and yoga classes. It feels right. For now.
    Tara Newman recently posted…The Power of Organized ChangeMy Profile

Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I think you’ve got to do what feels right for you and chilling out seems to be what you need right now. I had plantar fascitis once too, it was no fun. I hope both things start to heal for you soon <3

• Posted May 13, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

I think I’m in whatever bizarre limbo comes after stage 5: overdoing it. A year ago I was working out 2-3 times a day (HIIT, Zumba, and lifting), and I crashed hard from overtraining. Ever since then, I feel like I’ve been a little lost about how much to do. I have this tug of war between wanting to workout multiple times a day again and being terrified of overdoing it again because I don’t want to end up taking weeks off again.

Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

It is definitely hard to find the balance when you sometimes do feel like more = better. So many times though when I’ve overdone it my body just screams out at me to stop. I shudder at some of my old blog posts where I was bragging about working out for a 2.5-3 hour session, that’s just not a way to be.

• Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:46 am | Permalink

This is pretty accurate! I began to love exercise when I realized that I could find things I love that don’t necessarily get piled in with what people consider “training.” I love zumba and any other intense, dance based workout, hiking, walking a ton, and really anything that has a “fun” element. Lately, I’ve gotten really into Pilates as well, which is good because I’ve always been lacking in strength workouts.

Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I love Pilates! I did it during my ‘I guess it is ok’ stage but I did really enjoy it and do some of it still sometimes now. It is so great for improving posture.

Love hiking too and I’d love to do a dance class. Issue is there’s too much I want to do sometimes ;)

• Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:46 am | Permalink

This is so cute! I’ve definitely been at most of these stages over the years. Most recently I was at 6 but right now I’m at 4.

Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I think I swap stages 4 and 6 since I got into stage 6. Right now stage 4 and making myself love it again is my priority :)

• Eva
    Posted May 19, 2014 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

i’d have to say that right now i’m a mix of stages 4 & 6. i probably over do it in many people’s eyes, but working out is pretty much my favorite part of day so how can i cut that out? i don’t even look at it as “a chore” or something that i have to do anymore– i LOVE being active. it’s what refreshes me, it inspires me, it makes me so happy. yup i’m that girl. but most of us are in this blogosphere anyway =P

One Trackback

• By 5/18/14 Sunday Funday | The Skinny-Life on May 18, 2014 at 9:30 pm

[…] What Fitness Stage Are You In? via Sprouts n Squats – What stage are you?  I’m a combination of 4, 5 & 6. […]