Why I love running

Why I love running…

That feeling of feeling like you are going to die, pushing through and not dying.

photo 1

I love to hate that feeling but afterwards I always feel so happy and get such a rush from it both of probably endorphin’s and a feeling of achievement.

Running is a stress relief.

photo 3

I generally feel happier and less stressed when I run regularly. It allows me time to just zone out and really be in the present

It makes me part of a great community.

I love the running community, they are just so damn supportive of each other. When I can I love joining in to RunChat on Twitter.

Running helps keep me cardio fit.

photo 2

I love doing weights don’t get me wrong but I also like to balance it out with having a level of cardio fitness that when I do things in life it just feels easier like taking the stairs, going for a walk, etc

It shows me that my body is stronger than what I think it is.

photo 2

When I was younger I avoided running like the plague. I was an overweight teenager who used to forge notes from my mum to get out of school sports. Being able to run now reminds me just how far I have come in my fitness journey.

Running gives me time to listen to all my favourite songs.

Running is usually when I spend the most time listening to music. A way I trick myself into running more is by updating my playlist as I want to run to hear those songs.

Why do you love running?

Or if running isn’t your thing, why do you love what fitness routine you do?

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 3:29 am | Permalink

I love running because it’s my time to think if i’m alone or my time to vent when i’m with a friend. It’s such a good way to bond with someone else or yourself. Not to mention you keep amazing yourself!
    Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom.com recently posted…If I had a dollarMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Yes I so agree! It is a great time to just be alone or even if you are with someone else sometimes you don’t even need to talk you can both sort of tune out and just run.

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 3:47 am | Permalink

I do love running – it is such a an amazing physical outlet for me. Just like you, I do enjoy strength training too – but running is more like a mental release for me…sometimes I run with music, but many times I don’t I just like to “be” when I run…just let my mind go blank … weird eh?!
    Shashi recently posted…Oats for Eats… Eats for Oats…this WIAW!My Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Yes I so agree, I think running is definitely my mental release as much as anything else. It also shows me what is physically possible when you do just push through. I should try running without music more but I find I prefer with music as it makes me go further ;)

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 4:30 am | Permalink

I love this post Jan! I feel many of these things and so glad I am back running and racing. It’s amazing what our bodies can do – but we have to make sure we take care of them :)
    Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted…Asparagus, Pepper & Kale FrittataMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks Amy :) I am glad you are back to running too. I am hoping to get back enough fitness to start entering just some 5k runs again too to help with the ongoing motivation ;)

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 6:35 am | Permalink

Well you know I love this, all your reasons and more! I love the rush of endorphins the most when you cross the finish line knowing all your hard work and dedication has paid off. It is one of the most incredible feelings in the world :)
    Tina Muir recently posted…May is Osteoporosis Month and Sunshine Burgers ReviewMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

:D Thanks lady! I knew you out of anyone would understand most of all ;)

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 8:37 am | Permalink

I’ve always wanted to love running since is many people get do many great benefits and feelings of calm and peace…but I just, don’t. My brain gets no peace from running, quite the opposite really. I’m just obsessing over the discomfort and time passing by the whole time. I’ve never been able to get past 4 miles but have run 2 5ks with my best time being 32.38. I’d like to try again with running since I have a new furry running buddy, any suggestions?
    Alison @ Anchor in the Stratosphere recently posted…When Someone Says “I’m Sorry”My Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

I used to absolutely despise running. Like absolutely HATE it! I got my mum to write notes so I could get out of running when I was a teenager at school. What changed it for me was first of all doing the couch to 5k run, that pattern of run walking made it much easier for me to be able to build up how far I could run. I always used to think you had to just run and that was it but starting with run/walking can help a lot to make it mentally and physically not so tough. I also found entering and training for races helped with my motivation as did having someone to train with for those first few races. I hope that helps!

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 8:38 am | Permalink

I love running for a lot of the same reasons you do – being part of the running community, pushing my body and of course the runner’s high!
    Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted…Workout Wednesday: Back at ItMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

:D I’m glad you can relate to all those reasons too! I hope you had a nice weekend.

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

I remember when you signed up for your very first half! Running is such a great sport and it’s hard to skip – you just step outside and go :)
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#34 Treat Yourself TuesdayMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I can’t begin to be forever grateful to you for giving me the push to make me sign up for that half marathon ;)

Yes I so agree! I’m in awe of you marathon training. I’m going to see how I go but I may sign up for a half again later this year if my body is feeling like it can handle it injury free!

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

I love running for many of the same reasons you do, especially to relieve stress!
    Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Wedding Update: 4 Months Away!My Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Yes it is such a great stress reliever! I can’t tell you how mentally I always feel SO much better after I’ve run :)

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I love running for so many different reasons, many of which you’ve got covered. Mostly I just love that it’s “me” time :-)
    Lauren@sweetenough recently posted…Second attempt at sous vide cookingMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

:D So true I think that me time is a great reason as you can tune absolutely everything out and it is just you and your running and thats it :)

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

As much as I enjoy lifting weights nothing beats the feeling of using your whole body that running gives you. But even better that it’s not just your body but also your mind and soul. At lifting you always focus on the next press. Running makes youn see the whole journey. Completing a long run makes me feel capable and asures me that I can overcome any obstacles. Because a couple of years ago 5k sounded like the longest distance ever, a couple of months ago 21k sounded like an idiotic far distance. Now I start wondering which distance is within my abilities… oh yes and it definitely is addictive!
    Juli @1000lovelthings recently posted…What I ate Wednesday #40 – On International No Diet DayMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I so agree that running definitely makes your mind and soul feel so much better. I also agree about running making you see the whole journey and make you able to overcome obstacles. Just like you a few years ago I’d never run further than 5k. I definitely think you could do a full marathon if you wanted to – says the girl who hasn’t done a full marathon ;) One day I will, one day! hehe

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

I’m always surprised that my cardio fitness is as good as it is considering how little of it I do. I think all of those years of running like a crazy person have given me good muscle memory! I do sometimes miss the stress release part of running, but now I try to do yoga instead if I feel like I need to de-stress.
    Tara @ Sweat like a Pig recently posted…Curing my pains with burgersMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Well it is probably all that walking you do too that helps keep it up there ;) and dancing too. I love the stress release running gives but you’ve made me fall in love with strength training too. Yoga is something I’m hoping to add into my program too. All the things! ;)

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Personally, I love the feeling of just being alone with my thoughts, which is a welcome change from meditating and trying to silence them :P

There’s no bullshit, it is just you and the road. I love pumping alone to a playlist I’ve put together too :)

But sometimes when I take my earphones out and it is pin-drop quiet even on the busiest roads (at least before dawn) there is something so calming about it. Just the sound of only your feet pounding the pavement, and your breath. It’s — I don’t know how to describe it haha :)

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Yes so true! I love that comment about it being no bullshit, it just being you and the road. Ah it is perfect, it should be on a t-shirt, we should print them up and then run in them!!!

I should run without music more. I know how calming it is when you are outside and running without music – not so much inside on a treadmill. Although I struggle with not having my music pumping to help me push through! ;)

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

So many great reasons to be involved with the running community :) Obviously I’m a fan!
    Cori @ olivetorun.com recently posted…Now We’re Questioning Encouragement?My Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Are you now? ;) hehe

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Agree with all your reasons AND running makes me feel like I can do anything!
    jill conyers recently posted…Mother’s Day Gift Guide for Active MomsMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Yes that is such a true reason too! Once you’ve done a hard run it makes you feel like you could do anything.

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

I love all my fitness endeavors for lots of reasons, but when it comes down to it they just bring me joy. It’s no secret I’m not running’s biggest fan, but one of the reasons I keep doing it is that on those rare occasions when I have a great run, it seems to make up for all the bad ones and I feel on top of the world.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Yoga strength foundations {guest post}My Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

I think your love for yoga shines through and you can definitely see it gives you joy. I think yoga for me is what running is for you. I keep trying to do it because I know it will bring me ongoing joy but at the time I find it hard to get motivated to do it.

• Posted May 8, 2014 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Ohhh I love this though I can’t relate… I don’t love running because I can’t get in the zone. I have a bad back and bad hips and I tend to focus on the negatives… I would LOVE to be able to run some day so I never say never but for now I love yoga and weights because I CAN get in the zone and time goes by so quickly when I’m doing either of those things :)
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…A Maxi Dress for the Vertically ChallengedMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

I think as I said to Kim, your love for yoga just completely shines through. I’ve had many moments of when I’ve had injuries and tightness from running where I’ve thought, is all this stress on my body worth it? For me for now it is but it may not be something I can do forever.

I definitely want to try and get more into yoga again.

• Posted May 9, 2014 at 7:38 am | Permalink

I love all of your reasons. Many of them are also mine. I find that I do my best thinking when I’m out running on my own. Although I’m usually listening to music, my mind wanders and I think of many great ideas, whether for the blog, work, or life in general.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…My Goals for Sunday’s BA5kMy Profile

Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Yes so true, running clears your mind making you able to think a lot better :)

• Posted May 9, 2014 at 7:40 am | Permalink

So I didn’t plan for this to happen, but my last run was like, 5 months ago. Once I moved last December and had exams and the holidays, running just wasn’t a priority and I never could figure out what was wrong with my lungs. I’m thinking I’ll try and get back into it this summer, though my biggest athletic goal of the summer is to get back into playing tennis. Running was great for me for a while. It showed me that I was stronger than I thought and it really helped me get rid of this last bit of depression I had at the beginning of 2012. Thank you, neurotrophins :)
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Let the Party Begin…My Profile

Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:09 am | Permalink

I think running is one of those things you fall in and out of love with. Sometimes you love it other times it does go on the back burner. Running has been on the backburner for me since I did the half marathon last year but I’m trying to bring it back again.

Tennis is hard! Much harder than running I think because a lot more coordination is required.

Glad running helped you with your depression too :)

• Eva
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Great topic! I love running because of all the reasons you mentioned, and also because i see it as such a wholesome metaphor for life: sometimes you are on top of the world and feel like you can run forever. sometimes everything flat out hurts. and other times it’s just a run. but whatever the case, you put one foot in front of the other and that’s just what you keep on doing.

Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I love what you said about it being a metaphor for life. I think it is so wise and so so true! Some days it feels great, other days it feels ok, some days it is just a struggle but you’ve got to keep going like your said :)

• Posted May 10, 2014 at 1:56 am | Permalink

I’m not really much of a runner because I honestly don’t feel like I enjoy it until after the fact, but when I challenged myself to run a 5K I was quite motivated during my training and was super happy after completing the race. Unfortunately, that has not helped me become a runner because while completing a good run does feel good, I can almost never force myself to do it for long enough to achieve that feeling. I keep trying anyway, though!
    Anna recently posted…Back From Miami!My Profile

Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

It took me a long time to fall in love with running. I used to absolutely HATE it with a passion. It wasn’t till I started training for a 15k race that I started to really enjoy it once I saw what my body could do :)

• Posted May 11, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I so agree friend!! For all those reasons! And running gives me solitude time. No distractions

Posted May 12, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Yes so true! I think that solitude time is a great one as well :)

• Posted May 16, 2014 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

AMAZZZZING. I love all of these and that’s why I love running as well. I especially like the time to just be with myself. Oh, and I love pre-fueling and recovery meals post long run, does that count?
    Cassie recently posted…Spring Superfood SaladMy Profile

2 Trackbacks

• […] running before but then we decided to train for a 15km race together and it made me really fall in love with running. Nick now doesn’t run as he got a bit over it but I still […]

• […] I’ve been trying to remind myself of all the reasons I love to run. On some days though after I stop running I lean over the treadmill and feel like I am going to […]