Currently in May

Happy Monday!!

How was your weekend?

Here in Melbourne the weather was really cold and raining and even though it is not yet winter it sure feels like it. Saturday I had on a 1st birthday party for my cousin and a baby shower. Look at the cute cake that was at the 1st birthday:

20140504-152734.jpg

I also had coffee with a friend yesterday to help her plan her baby shower. So it was a very kid focussed weekend.

Here are some of my currents for this month…

Current book

screen-capture-91

I just finished reading Tina Feys book Bossy Pants and it was so funny and so good. So now I’m in need of a new good book to read again, given the weather here it is definitely reading weather!

Current TV shows

img-allshows-friends-with-better-lives

I’m still loving The Good Wife and Hart of Dixie. I’ve just started watched Friends with Better Lives which I’m enjoying. I haven’t watched it yet but my friend Jess recommended watching Pan Am, it has already been cancelled but she usually likes the same shows as me so going to watch it next.

Current music

pandora-radio

Same as before still obsessed with Pandora. I really need to update my iPod play list as now I’m getting back into running a great playlist makes a huge difference!

Current need

3486c030ec9675b4d54012f612030d95

I would love more time, but that is a pretty standard need for me

Current food

ep_6-Chicken__Basil_and_Almond_Jaffle

Source

Lately with the 5:2 diet on fast days I’ve been having more quest bars as I find they fill me up better than other things do because of all the protein. Nick and I have also just gotten back into making jaffles, I think it is more of an Australian thing but it is like a toasted sandwich but the jaffle machine completed presses and toasts the bread into 2 distinct halves and seals it…so good! Especially with a veggie soup on the side.

Current wish list

1ce132cedd7acd224bf889031bc9e079

A really nice blazer. Erin from The Almond Eater did a great blog piece on blazers and ever since then I’ve wanted to buy one but I haven’t found one yet I really love but the search is on.

Current annoyance

292288c4503ce874da0261cb4d59e3d15ec8c59cf02a5f36caabbc4346ff9f3d

The weather in Melbourne! I was hoping for 1 more month of semi ok weather before winter sets in but it’s looking like we aren’t going to get it. Now I will be counting down for spring.

Current excitement

I have a few first up I’m going for a promotion at work at the moment and even if I don’t get it Managers I’ve worked with have already said to me they would put me in more senior roles anyway which is really nice to hear regardless of the outcome.

Secondly in a few weeks Nick and I are going away with his friends ( all couples) to my parents holiday house down near the beach. It will be too cold for swimming but nice to just get away.

Thirdly I am very excited to be doing #MindfulMay with Tara from Family Sport Life. We have both committed to doing 5 minutes or more of meditation a day and then using the #MindfulMay on Instagram and / or Twitter. It seems like a lot of others have started their own meditation challenge this month too so maybe everyone was feeling the need to slow down a bit.

How about you….
Current: book?
Current: TV shows?
Current: music?
Current: need?
Current: food?
Current: wish list?
Current: annoyance?
Current: excitement?

Previous currently posts:

Currently April
Currently February

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh I just love jaffles! Filled with cheese. So great! Like with any food we go through phases! I’ve already put toast on the food shopping list now :-)
    I cross my fingers for your promotion! And so excited for you that you finally get your little vacation!
    Now up to the game:

Current book: I am just starting City of Bones – already excited!
    Current TV shows: Episodes – 2 days 2 seasons, should I say anymore?
    Current music: Still timber on endless loop
    Current need: somebody who kicks my ass twice daily to get me making some progress with my thesis
    Current food: not a particular food but all the carbs!
    Current wish list: a light pink blazer for my niece’s christening
    Current annoyance: my soccer team
    Current excitement: getting inside photography

Have a lovely day, lovely Jan :-)
    Juli @ 1000lovelythings recently posted…Spill it Sunday – Juli EditionMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

I know how good are they? I can see it becoming a staple for me this winter for an easy dinner with a cup of soup.

Yes it’s only 3 days but it will be nice to get away!

Oo I will have to check that book out. I love Episodes, I’ve only seen the 1st season but it is so good. The main actress is in one of my favourite UK shows Black Books, if you haven’t seen it you HAVE to watch it, so so funny!

I need to add Timber to my running list now! Yep I so want a nice blazer too but I’m wanting to start with either black or navy and then find more colours.

I hope you had a wonderful day :)

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 7:13 am | Permalink

I like a lot of the same shows – Hart of Dixie is super cute and I loved PanAm (wish it hadn’t been cancelled). I’m with you – I could do with an extra day every week just to get caught up – oh, well!!
    Kim recently posted…Working the Band (4/27-5/3)My Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:25 am | Permalink

I know Hart of Dixie is a nice easy watch :) I love Pan Am I’m 4 episodes in and like you I wish it hadn’t been cancelled!

Yes just 1 more day, but if I had it I’d probably want another day on top then too ;) hehe

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 8:06 am | Permalink

That superhero cake is adorable! Can it please be my wedding cake? ; )
    Stacie@SimplySouthernStacie recently posted…Friday Faves: Skin and Hair EditionMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Haha yes of course it can ;)

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 8:16 am | Permalink

I really enjoy Friends with Better Lives! Happy to find a fellow fan! :)
    Kate @ Baking in Yoga Pants recently posted…The Awesome Parts of AdulthoodMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Yes how good is it? It is a funny easy watch, definitely a fellow fan here ;)

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

That cake is so cute!!! And yes, find a good blazer! I just got a pastel pink one and I layer it over all my dresses when it’s a little chilly out!

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Where did you get your blazer from? I’m looking for a good place to get 1 or 2 from ;)

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

I’ve never even heard of a Jaffle before, but gosh darnit. I want one now! Also, you’ll have to let me know what you think of that show. I thought about purchasing it on iTunes but wasn’t sure.
    Jessie recently posted…MIMM: Sneak Peeks, Football, LoveMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

They are so good! Jaffle makers here start from $12, is postage was cheaper I’d send you one ;)

I am loving Pan Am! Definitely worth watching, get on to it :D

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Totally with you on current annoyance. It’s only May- How will I ever get through the next few months?! And love that you’re bringing back jaffles! So good ;-)

Current Food obsession for me is noodles. So bad for me, but they taste so good. Current book is Flash Boys by Michael Lewis and current wish list is a really warm winter jacket, cos I’m gonna need it!
    Lauren@sweetenough recently posted…Malaysia Part Three: The FoodMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:35 am | Permalink

I know!! I was thinking that thought today, the days and weeks seem longer and it is so hard to get out of bed!!

Nick got me onto them, he loves jaffles! He loves noodles too, I’m more about white rice ;)

I bought a Marcs winter jacket 2 years ago and although they aren’t cheapest they really last all my friends swear by them, just an idea :)

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Career opportunities, a planned getaway and meditation – lots of fun and excitement to start the month is never a bad thing. Fingers crossed for your promotion! When will you find out?
    Jaffles? I’d never heard the term before but now I know how else to call my roommate’s standard breakfast sandwiches in a much cuter way. She’s not much into cooking but her sandwich maker gets its workout every morning ;) .
    My current book is ‘Blink!’ by Malcolm Gladwell. Not fiction but a great read in anyway because it’s really interesting to find out how our brains work without us noticing or being able to explain. If you’re looking for an awesome fiction book, though, I highly recommend ‘The Paris Wife’.
    Since you mentioned the weather I was curious to see how it compared and we’re experiencing about the same right now. Only that it’s supposed to be spring…
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Good good links #37My Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Yes I am looking forward to it. We do all the work now but don’t find out if we get promoted till the end of May, start of June at the absolute earliest, fingers crossed :)

You can now call them jaffles! ;)

Sounds like an interesting book indeed. Adding that and The Paris Wife to my reading list.

Not good you’re not having great weather either, I hope it improves for you.

• Posted May 5, 2014 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

That cake is too cute! Growing up, my mom made us “Toasties” using a “toastie maker” and the resulting “sandwiches” looked a lot like your jaffles! I wonder if it was the same thing but a different name?
    Do you get “Nashville” down there? It is my favorite TV show – I am just waiting for a Nashville marathon so I have an excuse to sit around and do nothing all day…maybe one day…soon!
    Shashi recently posted…Freekehlicious Pumpkin & Chocolate SconesMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

It is the same thing. We say jaffles more often but toasties is a term we use too ;)

I haven’t heard of Nashville so I will have to check it out.

Happy Wednesday lovely.

• Posted May 6, 2014 at 12:39 am | Permalink

I love a great blazer! They go with anything and that Superman cake is amazing. Did you make it? I would love to make something like that for my bf Ian’s 27th birthday haha I think an adult male would also appreciate how awesome it is.

Glad you had a good weekend! I can’t wait to read Bossy Pants. I started Eat & Run this weekend and it’s really inspiring.
    Ursula recently posted…My Closet #1: LBDMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:39 am | Permalink

No I definitely didn’t make that cake. It is very impressive but I’m not that ambitious in terms of cake making ;) I did however make a train cake for my dad’s 50th birthday.

Your bf would love it. All the cupcakes they served with it had different superhero badges on them, so cute!

It is an awesome read. I may have to check out eat & run too sounds good!

• Posted May 6, 2014 at 1:04 am | Permalink

Ooh, toasted sandwich– YUM! And you definitely need a cute blazer, you will rock it for sure. Sorry to hear about the Melbourne weather… we are switching places, as NYC is FINALLY getting nice and warming up!! Or beginning to at least. And I was also totally obsessed with Tina Fey’s Bossypants… there are still lines that I remember that I seriously found hysterical. I just bought a book called “Goodbye to All That”- a collection of essays about loving and leaving NYC.. very relevant in my life right now!! Xoxo
    Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan recently posted…A Day at the Animal Sanctuary!My Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Yes I’m hoping to find a blazer soon :)

I’m glad at least you are having nice weather. I am hoping we get a couple more nice days pre-winter but not sure we will.

How good is that book? It is so funny and such a great read.

That sounds like an interesting book too and very relevant to your pending move :)

• Posted May 6, 2014 at 3:36 am | Permalink

Jaffle machine? That looks so cool! It’s like a waffle, panini and a calazone thing. Too cool! Hope all goes well with your promotion!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Spicy Plantain Chips + Healthy Mexican MealMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Yes it is so good, definitely recommend it!

Happy Wednesday!

• Posted May 6, 2014 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Yep, Jaffies must be an Aussie thing. I haven’t heard of them infiltrating the US, but they seem similar to a panini. Those are tasty! I’m currently reading ‘Love You More’ by Lisa Gardner and watching ‘Revenge’, which is about to end, and ‘Call the Midwife’. I’d recommend all 3 :)
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…24-Week BumpdateMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:43 am | Permalink

They are similar to a panini but they get sealed in which makes them even more tasty.

I will have to check out those books. I need to get back into Revenge too :)

• Posted May 6, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

I’ve been wanting to check out Bossy Pants for a while so I’m glad to hear you gave it a good review! I just started reading a book called The Interestings but I’ll keep that one on the back burner for when I finish.
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Spring Vegetable PastaMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink

That book sounds interesting ;) sorry I had to. Yes it is a great read and one to put on your list for after.

Happy now Wednesday!

• Posted May 6, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Jaffles … something I must try.
    Christina recently posted…Cooking AwayMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink

They are so good!

• Posted May 6, 2014 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Wow I love that outfit with the blazer! I have one, but have been looking for another. I have a pair of red pants like that girl…..but mine do not look anywhere near as cool as that….as much as I try……so I have given up wearing them, damn!

That grilled cheese is making me want one….yum!

Current excitement….TODAY I finish my MBA!!!!!!!!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Double Liebster AwardMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:46 am | Permalink

I’ve thought about getting red pants too but haven’t found any that I’ve loved :)

Jaffles are so good I tell you!!

YAY!!!!!! So exciting!!

• Posted May 7, 2014 at 12:56 am | Permalink

Sorry I’ve been MIA. Finals are finally done! JAFFLES!!!! OMG!!! When I lived in Australia, my boyfriend would make them for me because I had never heard of them and didn’t know how to work the machine. I miss that. I also miss Roses Chocolates, Freddo Frogs, Caramello Koalas, and sausage rolls. I didn’t like meat pies as much as sausage rolls. Also, that still feels kind of inappropriate to say ;) Hope you’re well! <3
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Finals PauseMy Profile

Posted May 7, 2014 at 9:48 am | Permalink

That’s ok lady finals have been keeping you busy! Yay to them being done and dusted :D so happy for you!

Jaffles are the best aren’t they? They should sell jaffle machines in the US too!

Haha I do love sausage rolls too! I’m more of a fan of meat pies though, particularly shepherds pie with the potato on top, so good.

I hope you’ve been having a good week!

• Posted May 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

OMG jaffles! I haven’t had one of those in years!! I just finished watching season one and two of Girls. It was okay… a bit over-rated and not as scandalous as I’d been expecting but I like the fact that the episodes are short (I don’t have much time to watch TV!).
    Tara @ Sweat like a Pig recently posted…Curing my pains with burgersMy Profile

Posted May 11, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

You NEED to get a jaffle maker again ;) You won’t be disappointed or maybe you will be from all the additional carbs it will make you eat.

I couldn’t get into Girls. I watched 5 episodes and was like Meh the characters aren’t likeable! If you can you should try True Detective, although the episodes aren’t short but it is good!