Thinking out loud

christmas-cats-tn-800-2Source

Hello hello! It is Thursday which means 2 working days left and only 6 days till Christmas time.

Today I am joining in Amanda’s Thinking Out Loud link up, my first time joining. For those not familiar with it, it a post of random thoughts, musings and pictures.

Thinking-Out-Loud

Ready? Let’s go!

1. I am not doing so well on the running motivation front right now. Ever since I did the half marathon in October, I promised myself I would run twice a week but lately it has been more like once a week. I have been following my 4 day a week strength program from Tara at Sweat Like a Pig and loving it. Whereas my runs the thought of it makes me cringe but when I do run I love it.

running_motivation_postcard-rc7a0a685061a4ba38fbb0624f0efefa5_vgbaq_8byvr_512

2. Every time I sit down to write a blog post, Nick’s uneaten advent calendar stares me in the face beckoning me to open it and eat it. Even though I know advent calendar chocolate is usually not as good as other chocolate. Or at least I know this one won’t be seeing as though it cost all of $2

images

3.  I realized that a lot of my close friends are going to be away over the Christmas break which means I won’t have as many people to catch up with, which means more quality time spent  annoying with Nick ;) (Lucky guy)

4. I am in a funny place with food and intuitive eating at the moment. I’ve been trying to wait to eat for the most part more often when I am really hungry not just mildly hungry to ‘feel’ it more. I am however thinking of trying a nutrition plan from Tara which I know may sound like it contradicts intuitive eating but more on that in another post if I actually go ahead. Bottom line is I don’t want to stop intuitive eating and the progress I’ve made with it.

5. We are having friends over in a few weeks to watch Dirty Dancing since Nick and another friend have never seen it before. I have been trying to menu plan and so far the only thing I know we have to have is all things Watermelon. Nick caught me looking at Watermelon Napkins and Cups the other day on ebay and he banned me from buying any such things just to have our friends over for a movie night.

Watermelon-Cupcake-044-570x380

6. I’m really really really worried about the fact that I am nearly all up to date with episodes of Hart of Dixie, I hate that feeling of having an endless amount of episodes of something to watch and then having to wait for more episodes to come out. Yes first world problems right here ;)

2-new-promo-posters-of-Hart-Of-Dixie-November-Sweeps-Posters-rachel-bilson-26207833-700-884

7. My sister has asked me to bring a salad to the Christmas dinner we are having at her house next week and I have no idea what to make. I used to make a great salad with lentils and a grain called freekah but I don’t do well with lentils anymore so I’m lacking on inspiration but don’t want to just take a boring green salad.

8. I’m in two minds as to if I will take time off from blogging over the break or not and if I do whether I take a long break or a short break.

Wow ok I think that is more than enough random thoughts from me that you ever needed to know.

Tell me some of your random thoughts

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Those watermelon cupcakes are SO cute!! What a super fun idea :) .
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…WIAW: December 18, 2013My Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

You do what feels right, and that is intuitive :)
    Kierston @candyfit recently posted…Breaking Bread: Lessons Learned In The Baking…My Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

I love Hart of Dixie! Try to make it stretch until January.. that’s when the new eps will come back, right? I’m bummed all my shows are on hiatus now :/
    Taryn recently posted…Good EatsMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

My post tomorrow is ALL about IE. Can’t wait to get your thoughts!!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#15 Treat Yourself TuesdayMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I love this idea of thinking out loud. It seems….cleansing!

Those watermelon cupcakes look amazing and adorable!!!
    Lisa @ The Skinny on Health recently posted…The Little Honey Bee // The Skinny on HealthMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

thats it, i’ve decided… i think its time for me to get a pet dinosaur to force me to run
    i don’t know any other way! haha

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Have you ever made a 7 layer salad? I always love those!
    Stacie recently posted…Workout Wednesday: Ab BlastMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Haha that wine advent calendar is awesome!
    Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…2013 Highlights: In PicturesMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Like Nick, I’ve never seen Dirty Dancing either..i’m probably one of the only women out there..but that’s okay :) I’d love to know what salad you end up making..something with lentils sounds amazing! Please share :)

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Loved reading your random thoughts, lady! But I can’t believe Nick didn’t eat his Advent calendar! I crack mine open every morning and it seriously takes all my willpower not to eat the entire thing at once! Dratted chocolates are so small that all they manage to do is spark a huge craving. Ahh well. And those watermelon cupcakes may just be the cutest things I’ve ever seen… although it’s hard to think about watermelon when we’re currently in the middle of winter.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW … i can’t help it .My Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Those watermelon cupcake are adorable!!! One of my favorite salads is a chicken barbecue salad or even spinach with goat cheese, apples and pecans and some type of vinaigrette? I guess maybe those aren’t crazy salads but both are delicious! :)
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Should You Work Out When You’re Sick?My Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Long time reader – first time commenter! Loved this post. Here are my salad suggestions.

1) green salad with quinoa and papaya and a homemade dressing of your choice. Seems to go over really well with guests I’ve had!

2) A spinach salad with cashews, raspberries or strawberries and a homemade balsamic maple syrup dressing. (I use 1 tsp balsamic, 1 tsp maple syrup and 2 tsp olive oil and then taste and chane from there)

Have a happy holiday!
    Amalia recently posted…That Time I Had a Dream About OprahMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I’m hoping lots of my friends will be in town for Christmas, since my boyfriend and I will be apart! haha :)

My go to salad is either a kale salad or a greek salad! Good luck!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Lighter Meals & Indian Food AttemptsMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

The girl, you literally introduced all my ideas :D I am ready to subscribe almost under each your line, seriously! That, as for exercises, food and series ;) I looked at all series How I Met your Mother for few months, and now I look on a series in a week… Eventually, it is unfair :)
    Marina @ PBlover and Runner recently posted…WIAW: ИзмененияMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

So much randomness here- Love it! Is Hart of Dixie similar to the OC/One tree hill? I’m thinking of getting season 1 for my sister for Christmas!

Alot of my mates are off to Thailand next week too- I reckon we have a blogger catchup at Mad Mex- I had it yesterday and it definitely is the closest thing to Chipotle. Also I owe you an email- totally slipped my mind, will do so after work :)
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…WIAW- Four Cheese Roasted Veggie Pasta BakeMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

You tell your man that I LOVE the idea of a themed movie night =) I think you should even make him a watermelon hat just since he though your idea wa stupid. Ha Ha!
    Jessie recently posted…WIAW: Tuesday’s MealsMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Dirty Dancing! What a classic :) Such a great chick flick that will NEVER EVER get old! Man, I wish guys like Johnny existed!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Check Out My Meat… Loaf That Is!My Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Love all the randomness :-) I absolutely know what you mean. At the moment I am waiting for new seasons of several series. So annoying! But I love it when you know you have 20 episodes to go through at once. Junkie!!!! I see so many similarty forming between my husband and Nick. The uneaten Advent calendar, the fear you’d buy very important things “just” for a movie night… ;-) Can’t believe he never watched Dirty Dancing! Have fun with your friends! I’m curious how he likes it as I know my man’s thoughts ;-)
    Juli @ 1000lovelythings recently posted…What I ate Wednesday #22 – What I ate at homeMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I hear what you’re saying about the advent calendar. Every morning I wake up and see it, winking at me, from the other side of my room. Will I eat it before my workout? After? During? (Don’t judge me ;P) So many times I have come close to cracking and opening up “just one more day”, and it sends off some sort of alarm bell in my head: if I cannot handle a tiny square of ($2) chocolate without overthinking, then I need to get a hobby.

A nutrition plan could work. I would say I still eat when I feel physically hungry, and stop when I’m full – but the nutrition guide Tara has given me has made me rethink about what and when I eat it (balancing carbs/protein, etc.) But I think it can be a slippery slope – something that can possibly lead a person down that over-thinking food/anxiety path.

We all suffer so much from our first-world problems! :P Today at work I sad-faced because the air conditioner made me too cold (on a forty-degree day!) ?!
    Mitchell recently posted…Delicious DiscoveriesMy Profile

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

The cupcakes are adorable! I think you could definitely combine intuitive eating with a nutrition plan. I try to do a little bit of both myself. Some days if I were to go with only the foods I wanted it would be all cookies and ice cream. Those days, the logical meal planning side kicks and in and says, “you need some vegetables in your life today!” I’m interested to see how it goes!

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Dirty Dancing is the best movie!! Fun story- when I was 14 my family went to the same mountain resort where the movie was filmed (it’s in VA) and we stayed in the exact same cabin as the family in the movie. It was amazing.

I’ve been thinking about how much I want to blog over the holidays too. I don’t think I’ll do every day, but I’ll still pop in I think!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Annual Admission Chili Cook-OffMy Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 2:41 am | Permalink

Have had the same thoughts about blogging too. One think that drives me nuts is when people take a “break” but really just overwhelm my bloglovin with guest posts. I don’t just read someone’s blog to go to that URL everyday, I read it for THEM haha. Ah well I’ll be without internet for a few days so they won’t be bothering me haha.

Also #6 is how I feel about every TV show!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Baking Course Recap {Part 2}My Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Take a break if you feel that you need to! Can’t hurt. Hope your running motivation comes back, I can relate – it’s nearly 80* here and I suddenly don’t really want to go for a run anymore. blegh.
    ari @ whatarisaid recently posted…my first juice cleanse/detox/fast/whatever…My Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 5:17 am | Permalink

Pah, men! Tell Nick you’ll need watermelon everything for every time you’ll watch Dirty Dancing from now on. Because it won’t be the last time you’ll watch it, right?!
    The blogging break question came to my mind just yesterday – I’d forgotten about it until then. For now I’ve decided to take Christmas Eve and the 25th off and then be ‘intuitive’ [to use that popular term here :) ] after that.If I feel like posting I will but if I don’t and there’s too much going on I likely won’t. Only I’m not sure what’s going to happen with the link-up parties. Does MIMM still take place on Monday? WIAW will be off, right?
    About the non-boring salad: I know I prepared a red cabbage slaw-like salad with a great and simple peanut dressing years ago and even I enjoyed seconds. That says something seeing as I consider myself a non-salad person. If you’re interested I’ll try to find the recipe again and mail it to you.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Thinking out loud #2My Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 6:15 am | Permalink

He’s never seen Dirty Dancing? Ahh! Why? Well, at least that’s going to be taken care of soon. Quick random fact- did you know that Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze actually hated each other in real life? They never got along. Hearing that made me appreciate even more how good of actors they were.

Those watermelon cupcakes are adorable and yes, you must make everything watermelon. Lol. Are those in season for you right now? There are so many things that you could do with them. Watermelon smoothies/granitas, grilled watermelon, steak with watermelon relish, salads, soup… Anything. I know that you were probably kidding, but I kind of really hope you end up doing it.

#4 I’m looking forward to your post on that.
    Eating 4 Balance recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #2My Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Maybe my plan all along was to make you prefer lifting over weights ;) Mwahaha!
    Tara @ Sweat like a Pig recently posted…Things I never thought I’d doMy Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

It’s super trippy to me that you are all in the summer season and it’s winter here. Watermelon was nixed from my must have list five months ago! Love those cupcakes, they’re really adorable though.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Cookie Baking 2013My Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Love posts like this!! and I HAVE to say, Dirty Dancing is literally my favorite movie of.all.time!!! When I was a little girl I legit thought that I was going to marry Johnny Castle! For real!! When I found out Patrick Swayze passed away I was devastated!! Such sadness! It is a great movie though! Adorable cupcakes, btw!
    And I am on the fence too about how much to blog over the next couple of weeks – it’s kind of like, “if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?” LOL
    XO
    Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted…Hi. My name is Sammy and I…{believe there is no time like the present!} #TTTMy Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe Nick’s never seen Dirty Dancing…what a classic! Those cupcakes are awesome…please tell me you’re at least making those! ;)

I say take the blogging break! I mean, I know you didn’t ask for an opinion or anything, but I know a lot of people will be taking a break and doing a lot of family stuff so it’s really the perfect time. This whole month has been sort of sparse if you ask me…which is why I’ve been using the time to take a step back too. And you know, I think it’s helped a TON on the IE front…it’s amazing how in tune I’ve been with my hunger/satiety since I haven’t been feeling like I need to take a picture of every damn thing I eat and/or decorate it to make it look pretty! Take the time to focus on yourself and enjoy the time with your man!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

THOSE CUPCAKES!!! Oh gosh..cute overload.

I made a wheat-berry salad once with arugula and cranberries. I think I got it from katheats.com but I can’t be certain. Maybe take a look there?
    Laura recently posted…Thinking out LoudMy Profile

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Those watermelon cupcakes are adorable!! I think that’s so funny that there are people who haven’t seen dirty dancing. I guess I just take it for granted that everyone grew up with it & has seen it a million times. lol That sounds fun to have a movie night to watch it, but bummer Nick is being a party pooper with the fun accessories! Men. :P
    Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted…Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

• Posted December 21, 2013 at 4:50 am | Permalink

Those cupcakes are incredible.

Random thought? I really wish the dishes in my kitchen would disappear, I dread doing dishes and wonder if I could train the dogs to do them?
    Anita recently posted…5 for Friday – Vlogging and a Give-AwayMy Profile

One Trackback

• By Let’s talk turkey… | Sprouts n Squats on January 14, 2014 at 7:57 am

[…] last year in a post I told you that I was thinking about getting a food plan from Tara at Sweat like a Pig and I ended up taking the plunge and getting […]