Breakfast Foods: 12 Days of Allergy Free Christmas Recipes Day 2

christmas-cat-and-dog

Hi all, I hope you are having a great weekend, you know 10 days out till Christmas ;)

I’ve been spending some much needed time with Nick catching up since he has been having to work late all week.

This morning I’m having my last catch up with my best friend before she heads off to Europe over Christmas and New Years.

Today I am helping Madison out from Eating for Balance with her 12 Days of Allergy Free Christmas Recipes. If you haven’t heard about it a different blogger is doing a recipe round up of Christmas themed recipes in the lead up to Christmas, each taking on a different meal or course that is focussing on it being free of certain ingredients people may be allergic to or just don’t eat.

I am doing this because it is fun and also I now look for recipes that are wheat free, quinoa free and legume free as when I eat any of them my body always tells me how much it doesn’t like it later.

Here is Day 1 in case you missed it.

xmas-day2

I think there are potentially 2 schools of thought when it comes to breakfast on Christmas day.

1. Eat something lighter and less filling to save room for all the rest of the food you are going to consume

2. EAT ALL THE FOOD! All day, even at breakfast, take a leaf out of Santa’s book.

Eatallthefood

I’ll start with breakfast recipes that would be suitable if you want to try and not be full when you arrive for Christmas lunch:

IMG_5462-full

Edible Fruit Tree - (Vegan, Grain Free, Wheat Free, Nut Free)

recipe_image

Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie - (Vegan, Wheat Free, Nut Free)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Granola - (Vegan, Wheat Free, Nut Free)

3of7_thumb2

Cinnamon Banana Scramble - (Vegan, Wheat Free, Nut Free)

recipe_image-1

Raw Buckwheat Porridge - (Vegan, Wheat Free, Nut Free)

5262228_orig

Pear & Cranberry Baked Oatmeal - (Vegan and Gluten Free)

photo-120-580x580

Strawberry Breakfast Cake - (Wheat Free & Nut Free)

Now for the other school of thought recipes…

Buckwheat-Gingerbread-Pancakes-gluten-free-and-dairy-free

Buckwheat Gingerbread Pancakes - (Gluten free, dairy free & nut free)

Snow Day 032

Snowman Pancakes - no recipe included so you could use any pancake recipe to style them like snowmen, I just think they are so cute!

KylesCreme-Brulee-French-Toast

Creme Brûlée French Toast - (Gluten Free & Nut Free) – definitely not a healthy one at all…but yum.

IMG_6801-e1356537567340

Vegan Breakfast Hash - (Vegan & Nut Free)

Vegan-Gingerbread-Waffles-The-Minimalist-Baker1

Vegan Gingerbread Waffles - (Vegan & Nut Free)

mexican-breakfast-toast-7y-editeed

Mexican Breakfast Toast - (Vegetarian & Nut Free)

5c9660ecb2f4df8a5c27339a5a68c33e

Gingerbread man cocktail - It would be bad of me not to include the traditional breakfast cocktail in the round up. Each year one of my good friends families actually holds a Christmas morning breakfast cocktail party, I’ve only ever had time to go once but boy were those cocktails strong and not a wise decision when I had a day full of family events ahead.

Phew and that is a wrap!

What school of thought do you follow on Christmas for breakfast? I am much more likely to eat less at breakfast or skip it altogether and save my stomach for all the lunch food!

Do you have any foods you need to or choose to avoid?

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Thanks SO much for sharing my recipe!! :) Also, how stinkin’ adorable are those snowman pancakes?? I want some!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Friday Foodie Favorites: December 13, 2013My Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Of course! :)

I know aren’t they cute?

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 8:25 am | Permalink

I was loving the fruit christmas tree, until the saw the pumpkin gingerbread smoothie! Stole my attention for sure!
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…Quest Protein Bar Giveaway WinnersMy Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Lol I love both ;)

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I have food intolerances. I don’t believe I have food allergies, although I do know I’m allergic to some cooking oils. I have to stay away from cauliflower, well, I haven’t attempted to eat it in a while. That and corn on the cob. Although I do fine with popcorn lol
    Kierston @candyfit recently posted…#RECIPEFRIDAY: Simple Sweet Potato Curry PotageMy Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:49 am | Permalink

It is so interesting how different foods that you would never think of can affect people. Like you with cauliflower. My boyfriend can’t have coconut as it gives him a headache.

Glad you can still have popcorn :)

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

My mom cooks a huge breakfast for Christmas, so it’s pretty much eat all the foods! I love the looks of that Edible Fruit Christmas Tree, though.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Christmas Light Scavenger Hunt and Some of the Best Chrismtas Cookies EverMy Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Not a bad way to be ;)

Isn’t it pretty?

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I’ve been looking forward to your post all day :D I like your idea of the two different categories too.

Gosh seeing those buckwheat pancakes made me smile. I loved buckwheat pancakes growing up. And how cute are those snowman pancakes with the bacon scarves, and the gingerbread man cocktail!

Animal picture… Where do you find all of these?! Haha. They are so great.
    Eating 4 Balance recently posted…Microwave Cinnamon Rolls — 12 Days of Allergy-Free Christmas Recipes Day OneMy Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Thanks Madison :)

I’ve never had buckwheat pancakes before but after finding these ones I definitely want to give them a try :)

Google! Always google…well actually sometimes Pinterest too!

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Love these recipes! I’m a firm believer in an indulgent breakfast on the holidays. Keeps me from eating all the candy/chocolate/cookies later on! Luckily, I don’t have any food allergies or areas that I have to avoid. Aside from fast food and over-processed foods, I can pretty much eat whatever I want!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…I know I’m sick when….My Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

You’ve got to stand up for your beliefs ;)

Glad you don’t have any food allergies, then you really can eat all the things!

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

As beautiful as it looks, I would never have the patience to put that fruit tree together :P It is certainly a fantastic idea though for a hot Christmas day :)

I’ve made Angela’s Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie. Oh my god. INCREDIBLE doesn’t even begin to convey just how awesome it is! I tried to make a hot version with average success. I just microwaved it, stirring constantly, and it was pretty rad. Then another time I decided to heat it in a saucepan on the stove … I was scrubbing protein powder off the the bottom of it for days :P
    Mitchell recently posted…Spill It SundaysMy Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:52 am | Permalink

I think I would if it was for entertaining or taking to someones house and it was the only thing I was bringing.

I need to make the smoothie then it looks and sounds so good!

I’ve had so many times of having to try and scrape things from the bottom of my saucepan before.

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I just came across that edible fruit x-mas tree on Pinterest yesterday… LOVE it!! Thinking of making that to bring to my in-laws for the x-mas gathering. :)
    I choose to avoid dairy, legumes, grains, & added sugars since I feel SO much better that way.
    Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted…Saturday Sillies #1My Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

How cool is it? :) It would be awesome to take to someones house as it is healthy but looks so pretty.
      :D

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Half hungover yet borderline drooling- this collection looks amazing!

I’m like you on Christmas day- screw a huge breakfast….need to eat all the good stuff at lunch- and by good stuff I mean mum’s triffle. So ugly. So good. And also similar to you in the beans/legumes stance. We should invent a miracle cure.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #3- Film ThemeMy Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Hopefully some good hangover food fixed you right up!

Yes exactly, got to save room for all the food you don’t usually have! I hope to find a miracle cure for legumes that doesn’t involve having to sprout them myself.

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Yum, breakfast foods! I’m getting really hungry now even though I just had breakfast a little while ago. Really looking forward to trying the baked oatmeal since oatmeal is my favorite thing to have for breakfast. :)
    Shawn @ Fruity ‘N’ Nutty recently posted…Oops!… I Did It AgainMy Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

:) Breakfast foods are the best!

It looks like a delicious recipe.

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

oh these are awesome! so many kids have allergies these days ( my nieces included) that i now cook gluten free (for me) and dairy free. But i don’t want them to miss out on holiday food, which obviously they won’t with these!

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Thanks Lindsay! So good of you to make sure your nieces don’t miss out by catering for them so they don’t have to :)

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Reading this post before breakfast was definitely not the best idea I’ve ever had — holy yum.

I think what I eat for breakfast on Christmas morning depends a lot on where I am. If I’m at home, I’ll eat a or mall breakfast, especially since Iowa keep up so dang early. If I’m over at my parents’ house, though,then all bets are off. My mom makes the most amazing pancakes, and I usually have trouble watching myself around those. ;)
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. [guest post] ditch the diets .My Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Well it might have given you some breakfast ideas though ;)

So true I think where I am can change what breakfast I have but most often on Christmas I am at home not my parents house. Your mum’s pancakes sound so good!

• Posted December 16, 2013 at 2:43 am | Permalink

I am in agreement with Amanda mmmmmm tummy is rumbling! Those look so good for any day of the week and that fruit tree was such a fun idea!

We have a tradition on Christmas Eve to get Chinese food in and always make sure we have enough for leftovers for Christmas morning haha. I grew up in a spaghetti/hamburgers/pizza/salad are equally fine breakfast foods kind of house :) I usually keep picking at foods throughout the rest of the day and then indulge at dinner!
    Christine@munchkinmumbles recently posted…Finally Found It!My Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

:D

I know I think it would be great for entertaining.

I love that tradition of Chinese food on Christmas eve and for breakfast the next day that is awesome! :)

• Posted December 16, 2013 at 3:21 am | Permalink

How stinking adorable is that Christmas tree… now if only I had the patience to put it together. Ha! It’s a god thing I’m getting a waffle maker for Christmas because i am DYING to try those waffles out!
    Jessie recently posted…Spill it Sunday: The Movie EditionMy Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

I know isn’t it cute? I think I would if it was the only thing I had to make ;)

That is so awesome you are getting a waffle maker.

• Posted December 16, 2013 at 6:02 am | Permalink

That tree is adorable! Not sure I’d have the talent to put one together! Love the idea of this and hadn’t heard of it! It’s great for people who need to limit certain foods whether for allergies or other intolerances! I personally am fortunate to not have to avoid anything, but work with lots of families with children with multiple food allergies and realize what a challenge it can be!
    Danielle @ Green is the New Black recently posted…Friday Five: 5 Things You Didn’t Know About MeMy Profile

Posted December 16, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

:D Isn’t it cute?

Lucky you don’t have to avoid anything and can eat all the foods :)

• Posted December 16, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

What a delicious round up!! That french toast…drooling.
    Thanks for including my pancakes. :)
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Pomegranate SpritzersMy Profile

Posted December 17, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Of course! I was drooling at your pancakes! They look and sound amazing :)

Happy now Tuesday!

• Posted December 17, 2013 at 1:37 am | Permalink

We have a Christmas breakfast tradition of peameal bacon. eggs, toast and mimosas. My family normally gets up at the crack of dawn for Christmas so we can do our immediate family gift exchange before my relatives come over. I generally scarf down as much as possible at breakfast to tide me over until dinner, with some snacking in between.

In terms of foods to avoid, I have a really hard time digesting wheat and dairy so I try to keep them out of my diet as much as possible, but, they creep in every now and then.
    Nikki @ Quest for Balance recently posted…Chest and Back Superset with Active RestMy Profile

Posted December 17, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

That sounds like such a great tradition! Especially the mimosas :) I find on Christmas once I start eating I can’t stop snacking all day.

Yes I avoid wheat but a little bit here and there is ok, but I always know when I’ve overdone it.

• Posted December 18, 2013 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Sounds like a fantastic recipe round-up! The Edible Xmas tree is adorable and the pumpkin gingerbread smoothie sounds lovely! I usually have a filling breakfast and eat less during the day – it helps though!

Posted December 18, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks Rika :)

Isn’t the tree so cute?

Definitely a good idea starting with a bigger breakfast but I prefer to save myself for all the delicious lunch and dinner foods ;)

• Posted December 19, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

There is so much deliciousness on this page I don’t even know where to start!! The fruit tree, those adorable snowman pancakes, and the mexican toast all made my mouth water (and I just finished dinner!)

• Posted December 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Omg, that snowman pancake is the cutest thing ever! I usually eat a typical breakfast…nothing too heavy, but THIS year, we’re actually planning on doing BRUNCH for Christmas so I so so SO excited! Because you and I both know that it’s all about the breakfast! Eggs and bacon and biscuits and pancakes! EAT ALL THE BREAKFAST! Lol
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

• Posted February 4, 2014 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

These Waffles look AWESOME. Christmas is over but I’m totally giving these a shot next week for breakfast. Thanks!
    Gael recently posted…4 Healthy Recipes from Unlikely SourcesMy Profile

Posted February 5, 2014 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

I know right? Never need an excuse for waffles!

One Trackback